pamelabrkly

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Where were they??!!

Today, Samuel Alito was sworn in as the 110th justice of the Supreme Court. Where were our Senators when this happened? Only 25 were willing to support a filibuster to block his nomination. If I remember correctly, the plan was to confirm Roberts so that opposition to Bush's next nominee--who it was predicted would be far scarier than Roberts--wouldn't seem unreasonable. I believed this plan. I told people, no, it's okay, accepting Roberts is part of a strategy. There was no strategy, and I was an idiot for believing in one.

Shame on the Democrats who wouldn't support a filibuster, and shame on the reasonable Republicans who actually voted to confirm Alito. This guy is waaay outside the mainstream, and now we're stuck with him for the rest of his life.

When we needed leaders, so many of our Senators proved to be absolutely spineless.
I am sooo tired of missing real leadership in this country. Thanks, U.S. Senate, for running away when Americans were counting on you. In case you weren't paying attention to public opinion, we would have had your backs.

...and don't even talk to me about criticizing Alito as part of a unified Democratic message or whatever other stupid reaction you have planned. You missed your chance to act decisively, and as far as I'm concerned, we lost because of you.

Thanks to Senators Kerry and Kennedy for leading a filibuster. I, for one, am proud of you!!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger Devin said…

    I even wrote DiFi a letter ...

    Shouldn't send a manly looking woman to do a woman's job.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home