pamelabrkly

Sunday, June 18, 2006

February 4th, 2006

was my 24th birthday. It was also the day Betty Friedan died. Somehow, I was so wrapped up in my own life that I missed it. In my defense, there wasn't much news coverage of her death, even on the feminist news sites I frequent.

She was one of my favorite feminists because above all, she was true to herself. She shared what was on her mind when she wrote The Feminine Mystique and it just so happened that she spoke for a generation. She also said things that angered and aliented a lot of other important feminists and everyone wondered why she could dare go against the movement, but she was just being true to her own character and speaking with the same courage that was so often admired.

Betty Friedan was tenacious and honest, even if she wasn't always right. I won't always be right either, but I hope can always be like her.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can't remember if you told me you got my card. Ahh...Betty Friedan, woman of my generation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home